From the article:
In 2010, an estimated 16,800 reported U.S. home* structure fires involving clothes dryers or washing machines (including combination washer/dryers) resulted in an estimated:
- 51 civilian deaths
- 380 civilian injuries
- $236 million in direct property damage??
Leading Items First Ignited in Non-Confined Fires Involving??Clothes Washer or Clothes Dryer, 2006-2010
- Dust, fiber, or lint 29%
- Clothing 28%
- Unclassified soft goods or clothing 9%
- Wire or cable insulation 26%
- Appliance housing or casing 21%
- Drive belt 15%
- Most (81%) home structure fires involving washers or dryers began in a laundry room??or area.
- Most of these home fires involve clothes dryers (92%).
- The risk of fire is roughly equal for gas-fueled clothes dryers and electric-powered
- clothes dryers.
- The leading cause (32%) of home clothes dryer and washer fires was failure to clean.
If your think your dryer vents might be clogged give us a call today!
To view the entire article click here: http://www.nfpa.org/assets/files/PDF/DryerFactSheet.pdf