It’s important to protect your home and your family from fires any way that you possibly can. We found this article with helpful information that we hope will help you avoid disaster.
If you need Louisiana dryer vent cleaning services, then Dryer Vents Plus is your #1 choice! Call Jeremy Leake today at 225-612-7752 to schedule your 100% Free, No Obligation Quote!
From the article:
According to the CDC, four out of five deaths resulting from a fire happen in the home. According to the National Safety Council, most of these deaths could be avoided if smoke detectors were properly installed and regularly maintained in the kitchen, stairwells, and near each bedroom. Check the batteries at least yearly to make sure they work.
The American Red Cross reports that 80 percent of all deaths due to fire take place when the family is sleeping. The cause is not the fire itself, but rather smoke inhalation and lack of oxygen. In addition, the fire may trigger the release of poisonous chemicals in upholstery, plastic material, and draperies.
No matter what the construction, no house is completely fireproof, but you can do a great deal to prevent home fires:
- If there are children in the home, lock up matches and cigarette lighters.
- Don’t hang potholders or dishtowels over the burners on the stove. Store them away from the stovetop.
- Never smoke in bed.
- Never leave home or go to bed with your Christmas tree lights on.
- Never use a higher watt lightbulb than a lamp manufacturer suggests.
- Use salt or soda to put out a grease fire in your kitchen; never throw water on it.
- Have an established family escape route and have regular fire drills. If your house has more than one story, keep a fire safety ladder under each bed. Plan ahead where you’ll all meet outside.
- Teach your family the American Red Cross rule if their clothes ever catch on fire: Stop running, Drop to the ground, and Roll over to put out the flames.
- Keep papers, curtains, and other flammable material away from hot radiators, portable heaters, and lighted fireplaces.
Looking for simple ways to prevent fires in your home? Then checkout this article with prevent house fires that could be of interest to you.
Read the entire article here: http://home.howstuffworks.com/home-improvement/household-safety/tips/a-guide-to-home-safety6.htm